Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Hitting that wall

For my friends and family- seriously?  Did I not predict locusts soon?  So Katie had a car accident in October- with Mike in the car after the homecoming game.  Her fault but the car was totaled and they were lucky to get out alive.  Then after that in the spring our house flooded with the bad storms that flooded the Chicago area.  We pulled up all the carpet in the basement (after sucking up 2 inches of water), replaced the sump pump and carried on.  Then in May- Kev was driving back from MI and got in a major accident- car rolled, he's lucky to be alive.  Dishwasher dies next...and now the fridge is starting to go.  Plus we get word that Kev's CT scan was NOT clear like we had hoped.....so we have to go a neurologist now to see what is going on with his brain (I'm glad that the ct scan caught *it* - whatever it may be).  Katie got diabetes and I just keep saying- ok this is it right?  I mean how much more can we all deal with?

I'm calling 2012-2013- the year I'd like to forget.  Please.  :)  Every single event has corresponded to me being in the field doing my research for my thesis...can I just say that I am nervously looking at August field day?  I mean really.  I just don't want to hear the next worst thing.
October Crash- bye bye van!

Now we have it easy compared to others..I know this....and I am so grateful.  So for each of those things:

October- car totaled- but my kids survived...amazing!!!!!  Plus we got a replacement used car that was not that much money out of pocket.  (Ok 4 grand is a lot but it could have been worse right?)

Spring- it flooded but lots of people lost their whole homes.  I lost carpet and padding.  Yes the basement has some issues (We are pulling off baseboards this weekend to see if there is hidden mold- I'm deathly allergic) but otherwise we got off rather easy with it.  And a desktop computer might have bitten the dust since the tower sat on the carpet.  But overall- we have a house- it wasn't leveled with the tornado, etc and so on.
Flood of 2013

May- Kev is alive....and in an odd twist when I called the guy I got my red Jetta TDI from- he had just gotten one at auction that very day and it was the first Jetta he got his hands on since the last one- he sold us.  :)  So that's a good twist.  The insurance company covered all but a few hundred to replace that car (unlike the van that had collision only) and Kev is alive.  Major fluid on brain- but he is functional.
Oh and Kev's car?  Imagine the van times 20.  The whole top of the car was mangled as it rolled a few times...the car un-useable totally.
Dishwasher?  The new one is so quiet..we could have just done dishes by hand and I would have gladly- but am so grateful I don't have to!  I love, love, love the new dishwasher  :)

So maybe we are having a run of good luck to go along with our bad luck?  I have to keep on looking at the silver lining because if I don't I might not make it.  It's funny- a professor at my school suggested back when Katie got in the accident that I drop out of the program and yet I am still plugging away.  To heck with that.  We can make it through this.  I firmly believe G-d doesn't give us more than we can handle...and hoping that he opens that window soon if the door is closed..because beating my head against it seems counterproductive!

No comments:

Post a Comment