Sunday, July 7, 2013

Uncovering the mystery

Getting the call from the doctor, I can remember answering the phone and just knowing something was wrong.  And yet I was *still* shocked to hear the words- 'she has diabetes' coming out of her mouth.  I wrote down everything and promised to get her to the office in a few minutes for another blood test.  And then I went upstairs to talk to my husband.  He knew something was wrong just by looking at my face.  I said it as calmly as I could and I remember feeling like I was floating above my body and watching the scene.  I ended with "Well type 1 diabetes is the better one, right?" and my husband saying "No it's much worse".  I think when I look back..when I first mentioned diabetes to him- he KNEW it was going to be type 1 and was hoping it wasn't.

I was in la-la land because I was worrying more about cancers of the thyroid and things of that nature.  When I first heard diabetes I admit I was pretty cavalier about it..like it's not a big deal.  But it is.  It's scary as heck and explains a lot of things that had been going on with her.  From attitude (nasty mood swings) to lack of interest in school (a 5.0 gpa straight A student- not caring about her grades) to general sleepiness and just not feeling good.  It's astounding to me that she was still able to exercise.  Really????

Little did I know.  It's been two weeks since she was diagnosed and life as we know it has changed and will change drastically.

Date of Diagnosis - June 21, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment