Sunday, July 7, 2013

Meeting Dr. Kassar

We went in early to fill out paperwork.  It took 35-40 min to get there but we felt this was our only hope.  I was armed with questions up the wazoo.  So was Katie.  And then we get there and I realize..this is totally different.

She had just turned 18 in May.  It means she's legally an adult.  So in order for me to be there or do anything with or for her she has to fill out paperwork.  It also means when she swings high or low with mood swings or blood sugar- the first thing she always threatens to do is to remove my access.  Since we pay for her medical and also all her bills - this is an empty threat but it still terrifies me.  There is no way this adult-child is ready to handle this.  She's barely able to remember to brush her teeth or let the dog out.  Why 18 is considered being an adult is beyond me!

So she signs all the papers..Dr Kassar is a doll..funny and very adamant that if Katie only wants a doctor to review her sugars and sign a prescription pad she needs to not waste his time and leave now.  He tells her off the bat that she WILL be healthy and live a long life.  She WILL be able to have kids if she talks to him and sets it up with him and so on.

He's SURE it's type 1.  NO doubt in his mind- but we will do the autoantibody test to make sure (it was 100% positive for this).  He refers us to his nurse practitioner and asks if we can wait 30 min until she's free.  Yes of course..you squeeze us in and we will wait however long it takes.  He does seem impressed that we cleared our schedule and will make this our priority.

What follows is so much paperwork and information my head hurt.  Literally hurt.  I went home with a BAG full of sheets and information and I know she only gave me half the information.  I sat back and let Katie explain what she knew or didn't know.  Asked questions when I had some and just basically let Katie handle it.  She was going over insulin shots and Katie was just beside herself sobbing so C (nurse) finally said..ok that's it..we are doing the insulin shot first.  Katie thought *I* was going to give her the shot but I had to get tough (otherwise I'd be a blubbering mess!) and told her NO way..she's in college and an adult and while I would be her backup WHENever she needed - she needed to learn to test her blood and give herself insulin.  It's literally going to keep her alive.

So C gave her the first unit for her- she was freaked out as it was being prepared and then shot time..and wouldn't you know- Katie said...That's it?!  That was not so bad.

I said, without missing a beat- "Well C, we obviously need a bigger needle to match that reaction of sobbing Katie gave us".  She looked taken aback- but we always use humor to diffuse situations here.  They will get used to us.

We left with that mountain and a good attitude (that day).



No comments:

Post a Comment